New version 5.1 released !
- Fix : when clicking on publish an error message appeared if switched from custom map to default one
- New feature : Internationalization ready. Plugin can now be translated
Download RVM from WordPress repository now!
Live Example Of World Map
What does it do ?
RVM ( Responsive Vector Maps ) allows you to create customisable and clickable responsive vector maps for your WordPress sites. It’s extremely easy to configure. The plugin is completely free and comes by default with 15 maps: check them in action.
Still thinking better using Google Maps ?
Potentially everything can be turned into an svg can become a linkable map for RVM
SX-70 camera is not provided together with the code 🙂
Get the Polaroid SX-70 svg map for free and credit me all around the globe !
Thanks mr. Land.
If you are looking for other maps just have a look at download page !
What does it mean “responsive” ?
Basically RVM map will always adapt automatically to any kind of device: mobile, tablet, desktop, wide screen tv etc…
If you are an history fan or just you want to know more about responsiveness, please check this article on List Apart.
Ok, but why vector ?
Vector maps have the advantage to not loose quality when reducing or increasing their sizes. Then maps created with this plugin are capable to maintain their aspect ratio adapting perfectly to their container.
You can use maps in sidebars as widgets or just in the post content using shortcodes.
- Responsive: maps will adapt width to any device
- Cross-browser compatibility ( yes, works even on IE7 – use SVG/RVML )
- High quality image: vector maps never loose quality
- Many default maps available: France ( regions ), Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Europe, USA, Belgium and whole World ( with clickable countries )!
- Expandable: since RVM ver. 3.0 you have chance to install many more maps then defaults. Have a look to this repository. Not enough? Have you a svg or a design to integrate into your WordPress site as a RVM map? Shoot me an email !
- Linkable region
- Customisable look and feel
- Preview functionality: WYSAWYG while creting/editing your map
- Shortcodes: use generated shortcodes in your posts
- Widget: maps can be used in widget area too
- Zoom capabilities
- Width: a specific width can be set while creating/editing your map or adding width parameter to the shortcode
- Download the zip file from WordPress repository
- Login to your WordPress dashboard
- Go to Plugins > Add New, under Install Plugins title click on Upload and use the browse button to search the .zip file you have downloaded at point 1
- Once activated you have a RVM tab on the left hand side
- Start creating your favourite maps
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I customize map and canvas colours ?
Yes, these are possible layout customisations:
- Canvas colour
- Map colour
- Map border colour
- Add zoom-in/zoom-out buttons
- Map width ( can use em, %, px etc.. )
Can I customize map region links ?
Yes, it’s possible to customise links for each region/area displayed in the map. When creating a new map or editing an existing one, you will have chance to assign url to each area/region of the map. Default areas/regions have just a tooltip mouseover effect displaying area/region name. It’s possible to add html or plain text into regions/areas tooltip in complete security.
Which WP version is the plugin compatible with ?
The plugin will work at its best from WP ver 3.6 onwards.
I created a new map, but I would like to give specific width just for a specific post, is it possible ?
Yes, you can create a new map which will adapt to your box container automatically and will be responsive, but you can even use an additional width parameter to the shortcode within a specific post. Your map will have specific width just for that post.
Have a look here to see how it works!
Create instead a new one and use it for your purposes.